Monday 10 September 2007

Why 'Platignumpete'??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the first post on this blog, so I
thought I'd clear up the question that most
people already ask; "Why Platignumpete??"

I use the name on many forums and my 'eBay'
account with people continually telling me
that I've 'spelt' the name wrong. They are
of course thinking about 'platinum' the
mineral, whereas I'm talking about Platignum
the fountain pen manufacturers.

When I was young, about eight or nine years
old, my mother used to be a housekeeper come
cleaner for the 'posh' houses in our village.
I had always been a prolific writer and
reader, which, when I'd tag along with my Mum
to these jobs, would become apparent to her
employers.

Anyway, that Xmas, my mother gave me a present
to go with the nuts, fruit and other little
goodies we'd get in our 'stockings' at Xmas.
We'd never get much, as we were a family of
ten children in the mid to late 50's.

One of the ladies my mother worked for
recognised my passion for reading and writing,
so she told her to give me this fine fountain
pen as a Xmas present. It was seriously the most
beautiful pen I'd ever seen, with a real 'Gold'
nib.

Of course, at that time I just loved it and used
it as often as I could afford ink for it. Or I'd
'snaffle' some from junior school when the teacher
wasn't looking. (Yes, we had the old wooden
'dippers' in those days, 'the Robert Piggot Junior school',
and we had to keep our desk ink-wells filled, so
naturally, a little now-and-again would get into
'my' ink bottle).

When I was Thirteen, I was mad about the thought
of starting a band to be like the Beatles or Stones.
Another older lad I knew had an old guitar that I
had my eye on, so we struck a deal; My 'Platignum'
for his 'old guitar'.

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but the memory
of that 'special' gold-nibbed 'Platignum' fountain
pen will likely stay with me 'till my dying day now.

So THAT's why I'm called 'Platignumpete'.

This blog is all about recalling stories from my past
which you 'may' or 'may not' find interesting.

Please call back often,

Pete.

PS. Please Click The Header Above To Visit the Main Blog.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

Leonard Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.